Medieval poetry and 21st century immersive performance. Shakespeare's Globe and contemporary fiction. Theatre and political activism in the morning, and a novel by Virginia Woolf in the afternoon. West End shows, East End galleries, and all London's literary and dramatic heritage on your doorstep.
Welcome to the School of English and Drama.
The School of English and Drama brings together two of Queen Mary's outstanding departments: the Department of English and the Department of Drama. Our departments offer undergraduate degree programmes in English and in Drama. We also offer programmes in combination with a range of other subjects (History, Film, Modern Languages, and Linguistics), as well as a distinctive joint honours English and Drama degree. MA and PhD programmes are also offered in both departments
You can find extensive details about the programmes we offer and about the intellectual life of the Departments by visiting the dedicated English and Drama sub-sites. Or, you can here discover more about the School's strengths and activities:
- Our Bookshelf presents some of our staff's recent publications, including monographs, editions, edited collections, scripts, and translations
- Our Performances and Practice-Based Research (PBR) records some of the recent practical work by Drama staff, including plays, interactive workshops, and community engagements projects
- Media and Public Appearances records how our staff disseminate their research to a wider public, whether through radio or TV appearances, public lectures, newspaper articles, podcasts, etc. This page includes audio and video material to allow you to see and hear our staff in action
- Projects notes some of the important on-going research initiatives our staff are engaged in
- Research Centres lists the key interdisciplinary research centres that our staff contribute to
- Alumni and Fellows lists some of the notable figures associated with the School and the University, including the notable performers, authors, critics, and historians who are alumni of our English and Drama programmes